50: Community Forums
51: Home
52: Community Forums
53: Community Forums
54: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Collectable Card Games › Magic: The Gathering › Sunday Magic?
Sunday Magic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMagic: The Gathering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Sunday Magic?

I know that there are a few of you interested in doing Sunday magic of some kind.

We have been thinking about setting something up but not sure what you guys want.

Another Type II? Legacy? Vintage? Extended? Block? Two-Headed Giant?

Should we rotate back & forth between two different formats every other week?

Any input would be great! Thanks

Ghostwheel
Level 60 Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

Masters!

merlyn
∞ Level Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

what is this MASTERS that you speak of? Give us the details.
Irongaze125
Übernerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

From what I understand, Masters is a deck construction format where you have a three color, 75 card minimum and are limited to a maximum of one copy of any non-"basic land" card (Correct me if I am wrong).

Personally, I would love to see this in Legacy... maybe even Type II when Guildpact is out.

baughb
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

thats mostly right. its minimum 3 colors and minimum 8 cards of the 3 main colors.

what we were talking about at the store was having a rotating format on sundays. the first week of the month would be one thing, the second week would be another, and so on. if there was a fifth sunday in a month it would be a wierd format like iron man or something.

what we are looking for are formats to run. if you have any ideas post them.

these are some ideas:
backdraft
iron man
masters
2-hg
reject rare draft

roguecop
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

Sounds like you guys are gearing up for some real good stuff. Stick with it. "If you build it they will come." The more events you offer with the widest variety, the better chances you'll have of attracting more of the "fringy" players who don't play every format. I was always a Type-2 and Sealed fan, myself. Any chance you'll do some sealed deck stuff (NOT draft)? 9th ed., maybe Question

fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

Yeah, sealed decks are great, I have always hated the idea of opening an awesome pack w/ two cards I want/need and having to pass one up in draft.
Here is my vote for a sealed decks!

sthar8
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

the problem with limited formats is $$$. it's fine to do one every once in a while, but the majority of players won't be albe to do one every week. Also, whatever new formats you choose, you need to post the rules, dates, and times at least two weeks is advance both on the web and in the store.

personally, i like two headed, but with it's sanction it may become too competetive.
emperor and structured chaos variants are always fun (for example, attack left etc)
in my personal favorite, 5 players, each with a different mono-color deck (optional) sit in the pentagon shown on the back of any magic card. all spells affect all players, "opponents" are the enemy colors to your position (across from you) "teammates" sit next to you. when both opponents are dead, you can choose which of your allies to stay with. the other becomes a shared enemy (optional)
baughb
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

i dont know about the rest of you but i want to play in more sanctioned tournaments, and being competitive is what it is all about. if you dont want to be competitive its a lot harder to become better.

here are the rules for some of the formats you may not know much about.

iron man- every body buys a tournament pack of their choice and that is your deck. when you are playing and a card would be put in the graveyard it is torn up. you only tear up a card if it actually hits the graveyard. they are 1 game rounds, and the winner of the game adds their opponents deck to their own.

back draft- its based on a draft. except that you dont play with the cards you draft. at the start of each round you give the cards you drafted to your opponent and they make a 40 card deck out of it.

reject rare draft- also draft based. except you bring in 45 rares that you dont want or dont need and you submit them to the store. the only rule for submiting cards is no more than 2 copies per person can be submited. the store then shuffles them together and puts them into packs of 15 cards and we draft.

sthar8
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

iron man is a waste of time. backdraft is tons of fun all the time, and reject rares is the most fun at about 2:00 in the morning.

Quote::
being competitive is what it is all about. if you dont want to be competitive its a lot harder to become better

1. FUN is what it's all about. FUN is why people play. i played in the premier of 2hg at gencon in indy, and it quickly became apparent that every round would be exactly the same. 80% of the field was the same : control and combo. one player attempts a lock on the opposition while the other races toward degenerate garbage like T&N.

2. "getting better" is often relative to format. do you want to be better at draft? standard? what? when will 2hg, reject rare, or any of these formats be common high profile events? if any were, we'd already have a night or two dedicated to them.

3. intense single round matches lend themselves to disagreement. everyone is more emotionally invested in every game, and jerk moves become more common.

if you want to be super competetive, then none of the suggested formats are for you. this might be one Magic day you should steer clear of.
baughb
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

all these formats are fun. one of the reasons i like them is because they put you in unique situations, and make you think outside of the box.

iron man makes you think long and hard before you terror your opponents creature. one because you might need that terror later on, and second because if you win that game you might need that creature you would have to tear up. iron man wouldnt even be a sanctionable format for obvious reasons.

if you are worried about degenerate combos. TAN is hardly a concern. TAN isnt really a combo deck. it relies too much on one spell to resolve and then the creatures it does get have to stay on the board until you can use them. you want some degenerate combos? check us out on saturdays. its not really a combo until you can just win with it.

all i really want is another day of magic. if we do end up sanctioning it all the better.

sthar8
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

thats the problem with T&N in 2hg. it is no longer manageable when an allied mono-blue is tossed into the mix. that means you can always "just win with it." and it is only really an example anyway.

but back to the topic at hand,
team formats are really cool, but we might want to think about determining teams for formats like 2hg, emperor, and others randomly. that means you can just show up with any deck, without a detailed game plan or even a partner. plus, playing alongside someone you don't know or a deck that is counterproductive to you is hilarious fun that can make an evening, similar to backdraft.

i would suggest only one limited format per month, as this allows us all to rest our pocketbooks. as long as the format isn't sealed (more $$$), you can even wait until the day of, after everyone has purchased their product, to announce format.

also, as long as everyone knows what the base formats will be (t2, extended, etc) you can announce special rules that day as well. this might go over better as a once a month thing too, so that each month you have two days when you don't know the special format before arriving.

another thought- when i had a regular playgroup, we had casual rules : all restricted lists are treated as banne dlists, and any cards from any set can be used
roguecop
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

If Merlyn's runs a sealed deck (I prefer 9th ed...please don't laugh), I will make a supreme effort to get in there and play. I always liked sealed tourneys because it levelled the playing field between those of us with not a lot of cards and those of us who are fanatic about collecting/playing professionally.

When I played chess competitively/professionally I learned quickly there are two kinds of players: those who play for fun, and those who play for blood. It's hard for the "fun" people when the "blood" people are in a majority in a tourney. I became a "blood" person and it made me a lot less happy even though I was winning a lot of trophies and money across the state.

I do understand the need to "get better," and it is true that you can only get better by playing competitvely against persons who are your peers. Some of my friends used to drive to the coast for the really big pre-release events, but I think people can get better locally, too, especially if we build some of the more common winning decks from regionals/nationals and play with them here in practice and/or in tournament events.

Anyway, lots of good points made by you guys already, so I don't want to beat a dead horse. If we could have a once-a-month sealed I would do my very best to come and play and drag my buddies with me. Cool

fe2mike
Bouncer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Magic?

I think that a sealed deck every second Sunday each month would be the best. That gives everyone plenty of notice and those with limited income time to save.
Not official yet but my guess is Noon start, 5 boosters, ~ $20, will look into prizes.
Can be sanctioned for those who care if we have at least 8 players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMagic: The Gathering All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: