18: Home
19: Stories Archive
20: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › Flames of War › Help with Tournament Army
Help with Tournament Army

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bootneck
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Help with Tournament Army Reply with quote

I am playing in a Tournament on the 4th March and am struggling to decide what to put into my US armoured Coy .

It is a 1500 pt tournament of 3 games - Free for All - Fighting Withdrawal and then either Hold the Line or Cauldron .

At the moment the list consists of

HQ 2 M5A1

Platoon 3 M5A1

Platoon 3 M4A1

Platoon 3 M4A1

Artillery Battery 3 M7

Assault gun Platoon 3 T30 75mm

Armoured Mortars 3 M4 81mm

Anti Air 2 M15 CGMC

I have played a practise of the Cauldron and Free for All and faired poorly in both , the general Idea is the mortars provide smoke cover and the artillery and assault guns covering fire whilst the tanks move out to engage and take objectives.

The tables are fairly terrain heavy with plenty of hedges , vinyards and buildings so the tanks generally have to get up close and personal.

I have a fairly large pool of platoons to choose from ( this army is borrowed from someone who has the entire TOE of the ETO methinks Laughing )

Any suggestions for changes in army , tactics or general Ideas on improvement would be appreciated Idea

Thanks

Bob

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Tournament Army Reply with quote

Bob,

you are to top heavy on ARTY, you probably need either an Armored Infantry Platoon and some more tanks.

With only three tanks in a platoon you are going to have trouble keeping them alive. You need 4 in the platoons. This would mean losing three before having to take a platoon morale check.

I don't own Afrika so really can't give anything but general advice.

I would start at:

2 M5 Stewart
4 M5
4 Sherman
4 Sherman

and then go from there. If you think you will be facing Heavies, you may want to add the M10's. Or go with the armored infantry and upgun to lots of bazookas.

With the ability to have so many self defense AA mg's, you may not need AA at all. The only reason to take dedicated AA is if the normal group you play with uses air on a regular basis. In the end I only add AA if I have filler points.

good luck,

Chris
DeathorGlory
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Tournament Army Reply with quote

Bob, Are we talking late war or mid war. Do you want to be offensive or defensive, I have a great 1500 point late war US infantry list. Alot of artillery, air anti tank and 10 platoons for those withdrawal scenarios. Use the 3 105 batteries on enemy tanks or infantry and air on targets as they appear. I will track down the list and send it to you. Terry

ogre
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Tournament Army Reply with quote

Bob,

A fellow part time FoW writer and forum member has been in England for 9 months and is having serious withdrawals.

His comments are here:

fow.flamesofwar.com/vi...819#581819

If you could help him find a game or club or even an event, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks,

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexFlames of War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: