45: News
46: Community Forums
47: News
48: Stories Archive
49: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu

Community Forums › Miniature Gaming › GW Warhammer 40k › 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?
40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexGW Warhammer 40k
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penumbra
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

hey yeah i know man i've got 3 bikes in my world eaters army but sadly no daemons Sad
also my dog stole my chaos lord and i cant find it Sad
you silly why buy a lord a chainaxe when you can buy him a lovely berzerker glaive ( hint as 2 what i'm packing ;)) for only 37 points more
oh chainaxes are in fact wargear READ: daemonic gifts which function as weapons e.g. khornate chainaxes are in fact daemonic gifts Wink

Irongaze125
Übernerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

Ok, ok... so here is the word:

These composition restrictions are "restrictions" in the sense that they are the criterium by which points are awarded for composition. You can feel free to go over, just don't expect max points on comp.

Basically the way "armoury" works for GWS games is that any upgrade purchased for a unit that is not listed within the squad's codex entry is counted as armoury. Frag grenades, weapon upgrades and the like don't count. The exception to this is weapons. WEAPON SELECTIONS from the general weapons section on the armoury also do not count. However, weapons from other section (i.e. daemon weapons, wargear that functions as weapons, artifacts, etc.) do count.

In other words, if it is not a basic weapon purchase or an upgrade from the codex entry, feel free to ask but it is most likely not exempt. Again, though, these requirements just pick you up a few extra points, they won't disqualif you. I have had several tournaments in the past determined by composition points, though, so it is something to keep in mind!

PS A short explanation- These rules were removed from the current RTT setting for reasons that are still not quite clear to me, but were somehow related to helping "theme" armies. In my opinion, you can still build a heavily themed army within these rules, and one which steps outside of them in the spirit of the game will likely be rewarded with better scores from opponents and in appearance scoring. Current RTT does, however, still score appearance, and since I have opted to seperate appearance scoring from the bulk of the points into a seperate award, I felt that it made sense to leave the composition. It is a personal preference of mine that you should be rewarded for balancing your army to be well themed, strong, and still fun to play against. I feel that these guidelines help all three.

winterman
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

Thanks Josh. I figured you meant wargear and vehicle upgrades as usual but thought it better to ask.

As far as composition, my only issue is these type of comp rules favor certain armies more then others (specifically marines and a few others).

In general I'd like to see tournaments without comp (keeping sports scores to discourage tools) but with missions that favored either balanced lists or exceptional tatics. Example would be having multiple objectives, each worth points (ie for one mission you'd score 10 points for having the most quarters, 5 for holding the most ammo markers and 3 for Vps). That way a 'cheesy' general could still lose (or only score a few points) if it only focused on creaming the other guy. Adepticon uses missions like these for their nocomp tournament and balanced armies still do well even with all the cheese.

Also bonus points that favor balanced armies help too. Like say +1 for having all your troops still alive, troops worth more when claiming objectives, deduction if 2 or more heavy support are lost, extra points for every elite unit killed, etc). The astronomicon missions have stuff like these (but they also use an even more stringent comp system.)

Anyways something to maybe consider for another time (or not, either way I'll still play!).

Thanks again!

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, -- You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. -- George Carlin
Penumbra
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

hey tyhanks josh
people won't think it's like 'mean' or something for me to use my world eaters will they?
I hope not as the list is exceptional in combat but suxxx in shooting

winterman
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

Well once again I can't make a Merlyn's tournament due to unexpected family matters. Good luck to those who attend and hopefully I'll make the next one.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, -- You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. -- George Carlin
Penumbra
Intarweb Mastar!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 40K TOURNEY SAT AUG 19TH CITIES OF DEATH? MEDUSA V?

ohhhh Sad
make sure to play next time

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexGW Warhammer 40k All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: